Saturday, July 4, 2009

Date #6- Wine and Dine

Honestly, Date #6 was the first date of the bunch that I really didn't know much about the guy before the date. Most of the time I can do some Facebook stalking or the person who set us up will give me some leads but this date I really walked into blind. So....here is how it went down! 

I arrived to The Mantel right at 8pm and was greeted by Date #6 not with a handshake or a hug but with a fresh glass of white wine.  Now for those of you that know my alcohol preferences, wine is not my thing at all but I was impressed none the less and sipped on the glass all throughout the night. 

After a few minutes of reviewing the menu, I noticed they served duck.  Now you don't see this everyday and I have always been interested in what this tasted like. I know I have tried it before, but after reading the description. I was intrigued. Now, don't think I was silly enough to order it. (I don't want to get stuck with some gross duck).  I mentioned my interest to date #6 and he asked why I don't just order it myself.  I said I would rather try it off someone elses plate instead of having to be stuck ordering it. Now, I did not mean to infer that I wanted HIM to order it but when the waiter asked guess what Date #6 was having for dinner. DUCK! :)  

Anyone that knows me knows that I spend every fall Saturday engulfed in college football, especially the University of Kansas.  It turns out that Date #6 played college football and has a respect for KU's head coach Mark Mangino! 

ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK!!! :)  Ok ok..he may not be a Kansas fan, but I can forgive anyone who admits how good Mangino is. Even if he is a Sooner Fan! boo


Date #6 is working on getting in dental school which lead us into a conversation about teeth. Now thanks to my brother who hit my in the face with a baseball bat at age three, I have always had some interesting dental issues. I never thought I was self-conscious about this until it came up on the date and then i found myself trying to talk with my mouth closed doing the closed mouth smile. How silly am I! Can you imagine me trying to eat without showing my teeth! :) 

Date #6 is a very intellectual person. He was full of interesting conversation and dry humor. Even with his love for fruit roll ups...(sorry, I had to throw that in there) he has some very interesting ideas and thoughts.  Date #6 thinks before he speaks..while I just jump right into conversation and figure out where I am headed halfway through my thought. I had to get used to the pause in conversation before he would respond to my questions. I am so used to filling the silence, it was a great chance for me to learn to wade through the silence to get to the substance of the conversation. 

The topic of past relationships came up. Now I don't mind one bit listening to anyone discuss their past experiences when it comes to relationships but i realized on this date that I really don't have much to share in this department when it comes to true serious relationships. Everything is such a "story" with me. Lets hope that after this 52 in 52 that I can change this pattern. 

Overall, I had a great time with Date #6.  The food, conversation and atmosphere  were all top notch.  

No plans for Date #7 as of yet....but as usual I will keep you all posted. 



No comments:

Post a Comment