Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Date 42- Is that Art?

Sorry for the delay in posted about Date 42. I find that sometimes I am torn on what to discuss on the blog so I put off doing it in order to make sure I know what components of the date I want to "report on."

Another shout out to my LOYAL class on setting this date up! Thanks girl!

Date 42- After a seires of emails and phone calls determining both the activity and timing of the date, we decided to check out an exhibit that was closing at the OKC Museum of Art. After living in OKC for almost 7 total years, I had still yet to go to the art museum to look at the art, so I thought I would give it a try.

I was suppose to meet Date 42 at 6:00pm. I was so engrossed for a meeting at work that day, that when I looked at my watch, it was 5:50pm!! I literally stormed out of my meeting, grabbed my purse and ran to my car. I drove home, changed clothes, touched up make-up and brushed my hair and still made it to the museum by 6:12. Ohhh the beauty of living in Bricktown!!!

We went to see the closing of an exhibit that was all about "Anti-Gravity" which featured some random "art" made out of chairs and buckets. I will admit it was pretty cool to see what someone can do with such normal objects but it makes me question the definition of art. My date was an engineer so I think it was difficult for him to appreciate the randomness of this exhibit. Random is not beauty to someone with an engineer brian. LOL

We walked around the entire museum to check out all of different pieces of art. I will honestly say that this is a FANTASTIC first date activity for a few reasons
1) There is ALWAYS something to look at, read and discuss. There is never an "awkward silence" because silence is acceptable in an art museum.
2) Continuos movement: Since you are always walking around, you never have to worry about where to put your hand, how your sitting, etc. This also allows for natural contact between the daters if desired.
3) Conversation can't get to personal: Since you are surrounded by other patrons in the museum your conversation about personal issues can't get to deep. This keeps anyone from diving into "non-first date conversations."
With all this being said, I have no doubt that an awkward person could break all of these rules and make it miserable, but I was lucky enough to not have that happen.
After the art it only seemed natural to continue the evening with dinner at the Art Museum Cafe. First off, I want to discuss the choice of food by Date 42 because those of you who read the blog will get a kick out of it. So, before we even ordered the waiter brought each of us a roll. Without evening thinking i snarfed mine down, because WHO DOESN'T LOVE ROLLS! I sat there and watched my date never touch his stupid roll. At first I thought he was being polite but he never touched it. It sat there alone and abandoned all night long. It took everything I had not to reach over and just stuff my face with it. Poor roll....poor MJ. But, that is not the ironic part. Date 42 ordered THE DUCK. If you guys go back to date 7 I think, he also ordered the duck. I just can't get into it, but apparently the men of Oklahoma City can. Ohh well.

Throughout dinner, Date 42 and I discussed all of the normal first date topics but a few components of the conversation ring in my ears. I really do feel like I have learned something from this experience about more than just dating, but about people in general.

Date 42 was a triplet and had two additional siblings on top of that. To an outsider, this is an extremely cool fact, but it seemed like Date 42 wasn't blown away by that fact anymore. I could tell he loved his family but he told me he wasn't extremely close to them. Now, I talk to my parents pretty much every day (don't judge me) but as I have grown older I really look at them as my dearest friends. I think it is easy to assume that anyone with a big family has the "Brothers and Sisters" relationship with everyone they are related to, but I guess not. For me, family is my #1 and I never make a decision without their input and support. I think it was just a learning experience for me to know that not everyone relies on their family the way that I do.

Both Date 41 and Date 42 were engineers. To be honest, it was eerier how similar the conversations were about careers, families, etc. I am not saying they were identical by any means but a few times I felt like I had just had this same conversation with someone else. It took me a while to realize that I HAD indeed had that conversation the week before. I think this happens when you are searching for something you have in common that you can discuss in more detail. People jump from topic to topic hoping to make a connection.

Also, for reference: Never both go to the bathroom at the same time. The wait staff may think you walked out on your check. :)

Now, I titled the blog "Is that Art" because I went to the art museum but I wonder if there is an "art" to dating. I know I have mastered the awkward scheduling, meeting and conversations but is there a true art to it. I wonder..........

Date 43 tomorrow! Help me finish these last 10! SET ME UP!

2 comments:

  1. the roll dilemma...HILARIOUS! you know i would have just gone for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gosh, how many engineers is this now? And is it any surprise that there's a lot of single engineers up for a date?
    -Date 5 (an engineer)

    ReplyDelete